Former IPL Star Paul Valthaty’s sister and nephew die after building in Mumbai catches fire

Paul Valthaty the former Mumbai and IPL batting star loses his sister and nephew in tragic circumstances after a huge fire tragedy in a building in the Kandivali suburb of Mumbai.

Sarah Andrew
New Update

Paul Valthaty (Source-Twitter)

It was a huge shock for cricket fans in India as news broke of a tragedy that struck Paul Valthaty. The former Mumbai and IPL batting star lost his sister and young nephew after a building in Mumbai caught fire. 

The terrible incident took place in the Mumbai suburb of Kandivali. As of now, the local authorities are still trying to ascertain how many people have been affected by the terrible incident. 

Paul Valthaty is a former cricketer from Mumbai who shot to fame after his unbeaten century versus Chennai Super Kings in the IPL. Playing for the Punjab Kings the right-hander scored 120 not out runs during the 2011 IPL season.

Paul Valthaty’s sister and nephew die in Mumbai’s building fire –

News broke that a massive fire had broken out in the Veena Santoor Co-operative Housing Society in Kandivali. The building saw Glory Valthaty and Joshua Gems Robert aged 45 and 8 lose their lives.

The two are related to Paul Valthaty a former cricketer who has played in the IPL as well as Mumbai. Glory and Joshua were in Mumbai to spend some time with their family. The two were residents of Scotland and were in India for some quiet family time.

Ravindra Ambulgekar who is the Chief Fire Officer in the BMC said “There was a burning diya inside a flat which seems to be the source of the blaze. The fire started inside the flat and spread towards the electrical wiring in the duct leading to the blaze”

Yet another official said to the media “Heavy smoke caused by the fire reached the sixth floor as furniture and other items of the first-floor flat started burning. The flame soon spread to upper floors, trapping residents”

As per a building resident who spoke to the media, it was revealed that the cricketer himself was helping the people. The resident in question said, “In fact, Paul Valthaty assisted us in lowering people because he had come downstairs.”

As per further reports, the fire started at 12.15 PM and soon started to spread. Two more people were hospitalized and are being treated for extreme burn injuries. Paul Valthaty had played 23 games in the IPL and scored 505 runs with a best of 120 versus Chennai Super Kings during the 2011 edition. 

Featured Chennai Super Kings Punjab Kings