''T20 cricket is not ideal for him' - Ex-India opener makes bold claim on Shubman Gill post his T20I debut

Ex-India opener makes a sensational statement on Shubman Gill in T20s after he made his debut for India against Sri Lanka.

author-image
Akshay
New Update
Shubman Gill

Shubman Gill (Source: Twitter)

Shubman Gill Shubman Gill (Source: Twitter)

India were saved by the scruff of their neck as they won a nail-biting game against Sri Lanka by 2 runs at the Wankhede in Mumbai on December 3. Shivam Mavi and Umran Malik were impressive alongside Deepak Hooda and Axar Patel with ball and bat respectively. But one man who did not get the required returns in the first T20I was Shubman Gill.

Gill scored only 7 off 5 balls with one four before he was dismissed lbw to Maheesh Theekshana. He played a wild pull shot across the line which got him out. The right-hand batter has been looked into as more of a touch player. One who can take his time and then score big later on. Former India cricketer Aakash Chopra made a huge statement on Gill after the game.

He will have to prove me wrong - Aakash Chopra

"I feel these are very important matches for Shubman Gill. You might say that he just made his debut and you are saying that these are important games. They are important because I am willing to put my hand up and say that when I see Shubman Gill, I see him as a long-format player. The way he plays, T20 cricket is not ideal for him." Chopra said on his YouTube channel.

"I see him playing Test cricket for India for many years, he might become the captain as well. He will play ODI cricket for India for many years. He might eventually become the captain there as well." He added Gill has scored 687 runs. He has one century under his belt. He has got the runs at 57.25 and at a strike rate of 99.13. 

When it comes to Test Cricket. Gill has scored 736 runs at an average of 32 and at a strike rate of 57.68. He has played a match winning innings of 91 at the Gabba in Brisbane and also has recently scored his first Test hundred against Bangladesh at Chattogram in Bangladesh.

"So he (Gill) has just made his debut but he will have to make the best of his opportunities. He will have to prove naysayers like me wrong. Ishan Kishan is batting well, so I will not say anything to him. Suryakumar Yadav got out once, will not get out every time." Chopra opined.

Shubman Gill Aakash Chopra Cricket News