The 20-20 World Cup 2022 is underway and we have seen some stellar matches already. The Super 12 round is yet to begin but the two-time champions, West Indies are already out of the competition.
The Netherlands would be so proud of themselves to have progressed into the Super 12, while the other three teams who have reached the next round are Sri Lanka, West indies and Ireland. The Super 12 round of the competition will begin on Saturday with a high-voltage clash between Australia and New Zealand.
Ahead of the start of the next round, here we take a look at interesting facts and trivia from earlier editions of the 20-20 World Cup 2022:
- Most catches at the 20-20 World Cup- AB de Villiers (23)
- Players to have scored two centuries at the 20-20 World Cup- Chris Gayle against South Africa in 2007 and against England in 2016
- Most wickets in 20-20 World Cup- Shakib Al Hasan (41)
- Most wickets by an Indian in 20-20 World Cup- Ravichandran Ashwin (26)
- Most sixes in 20-20 World Cup- Chris Gayle (63)
- Most dismissals by a wicket-keeper- MS Dhoni (32)
- Team that have won the 20-20 World Cup twice- West Indies in 2012 and 2016
- Most sixes by a team in an innings- Chris Gayle (11 sixes against England in 2016)
- Highest run-getter in 20-20 World Cup- Mahela Jayawardene (1016 runs)
- Highest team total in a 20-20 World Cup- 260 for 6 by Sri Lanka against Kenya in 2007
- First bowler to take a hat-trick in 20-20 World Cup- Brett Lee against Bangladesh in 2007
- Lowest total in 20-20 World Cup- Netherlands- 39 against Sri Lanka in 2014
India will begin their campaign against Pakistan on Sunday at Melboure Cricket Stadium. The Men in Blue were eliminated from the group stage in the last edition of the tournament and would be keen to win the trophy this time around. India are placed in Group 2 alongside teams, namely, Pakistan, South Africa, Bangladesh and Netherlands, Zimbabwe.